Saturday, February 13, 2010

School is back in session

Yes! Finally! The time has come! I'm back in Cache Valley in the wonderful city of Logan, as I started the Masters of Accounting program at Utah State University. I'm so glad to be back in the groove of school, though it did take a lot of studying, working, and planning to get to this point. I did get re-attached to the people of Lake Point, especially my Primary class. I miss teaching the kids, but I also enjoy being more around people closer to my age. Here are some stories and pictures from the past few months.


Despite the holiday rush, we were still able to do some fun things as a family. A few days after my last post, mom, dad, and I went to a Utah Grizzlies hockey game. Dad and I go to watch the game, mom just wants to see the enforcers. We had a fun time and this is always an inexpensive way to have fun, since you can sit in the lower bowl for as little as $10 each.


The Christmas season brings with it all the parties and get-togethers, but the one that was unique to me was meeting our "future family." Vanessa got engaged just before Thanksgiving, and her fiance Danny, and his family, invited our family over for dinner one night. We had a lot of fun getting to know the Clayton's. Here's a picture of the siblings playing on the Wii.


Only at Utah State would you ever see the FHE activity being to attend the men's basketball game. No complaints here. It was my first USU basketball game in almost 2 years, and it was fun to be back in the student section, cheering on my Aggies. Later that week, we had a siblings-only activity of attending another basketball game. Stuart and I had told Ethan so much about what goes on during games that he told us that he wanted to go to one. So, that's what we did. Ethan and Emily were laughing just a few minutes in, and Ethan put it best about our fans: "You guys are very unforgiving." True, but we must defend the home court.

As far as classes are going, I'm taking 12 credits right now, and so far it's been pretty good. There are more presentations to prepare for and more research to be done, but so far so good. I'll be taking 9 credits in the summer and 9 more in the fall, so this will be the busiest semester all have this year. Here are some shots of the places that I see and go to the most.




My ward has put me to work already. I'm now an assistant ward clerk, helping with finances (surprise, surprise). Getting all the donations accounted for and deposited will probably come in handy once I start my career, though I admit that it's strange inputting and stamping your own tithing check. :) Our ward is being audited tomorrow, so that should also go well, since I have an idea of what might happen.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll post again soon and have more things to write about. Until next time.

1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Phil:
It's so good to hear about all that is happening with you at Utah State. The fun college times continue! Your pictures were fun and I loved seeing all the good family times. Have a wonderful year at Utah State and take advantage of every opportunity. This time in your life only comes once. Make the most of it! Love, Aunt Gayle